Friday, September 1, 2006

September 1, 2006

So, I know I said this was going to be my rarely updated online diary, but that was longer than even I expected. Life in New York during late August has just been so fabulous, so incredibly exciting, that there has barely been time for anything else. You understand.

The waterbugs are at their fattest, the trash piles feel higher than ever, and of course, there's the undeniable thrill of having sweaty, bare-shouldered strangers rub up against your own exposed skin in the furnace of the subway car. But who's complaining? Instead of suffering the usual late-summer New York indignities, I tried to outsmart the seasons this year and visit the family in South Florida, a.k.a. The Only Place In The Country So Hot And Humid It Makes New York City Look Like Amateur Hour. My planned long walks on the beach became long walks at the Boca Town Center Mall (the Gap Body there gets my vote for best overall AC), and my dreams of writing at seaside outdoor cafes were quickly replaced by writing sessions spent under the vents in Starbucks. I did, however, get the genuine pleasure of spending a writing afternoon at my favorite bookstore on the planet, Books & Books in Coral Gables. Owner Mitchell Kaplan welcomed us with a secluded table, great coffee, and some of the best AC in town. Should you ever find yourself within a hundred-mile radius of Miami, you must must must stop by this little book oasis (that just so happens to be wedged in the middle of some damn good shopping. Incidentally).

But enough whining...for now. I'm headed this weekend to the 63rd Annual Venice Film Festival, and I could not be more excited. The Devil Wears Prada will be premiering there September 7th, and I plan to spend each and every free second before then stalking stars, sneaking pictures, and otherwise humiliating myself and my colleagues. Check back soon for an update.

Hope you all have a great final summer weekend, and please continue to keep in touch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home